Thursday, November 18, 2010

Smart holiday options

Thanksgiving is a week away! Some are dreading the extra weight gain during the holidays and others are thinking of ways to avoid it. I think everyone should avoid it. It's actually easier than you think. It is just a matter of saying yes to the right things and no to the wrong. When it comes to cooking the key is too leaving a few ingredients out and replacing them with more beneficial ones. For thanksgiving I was interested in cooking some delicious banana nut bread. So I went straight for the family recipe we have always used. I realized when writing down the grocery list that the ingredients were not exactly meeting my healthy guidelines. I try to avoid excessive amounts of sugar and flour. This happens to be two of the main ingredients in the bread. This called for a little research. I happened to find an amazing recipe through google. In the recipe almost everything was the same except we will replace the flour with oatmeal and the sugar with splenda. Try picking out a couple of your favorite recipes, find the problem ingredients, and search for other options. It may save you a few HUNDRED calories and have more health benefits for you and your family.

In the next few days I am going to make the banana nut bread recipe that I found. Then, have a few people including myself test it out. If it has a positive response, I will share the recipe with all of you. Good luck on your search for healthy holiday recipes!

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know you could replace flour with oatmeal, that is a great tip!!

    ReplyDelete